I'm getting sleepy...

I'm getting tired of a number of things when it comes to this upcoming election.

First of all, like President Obama, I'm awful tired of hearing either candidate "approve this message." I'm certainly tired of seeing campaign and Super PAC ads in a state, Maryland, where such ads are completely wasted. I understand that Northern Virginia is right next door, but come on, it's 2012, can't we figure out how to pinpoint which households should receive which commercials?

I'm also awful tired of promises that candidates can in no way fulfill simply by taking office.

We can start here with Mitt Romney's claim to generate 12 million jobs during his first term if elected. The Washington Post's Robert Samuelson does a good job analyzing this claim, but no matter if Mr. Romney is elected or not, it is awful hard to determine that 12 million jobs will be created just because he takes office and especially not if he implements his wonderful tax cuts for billionaires and millionaires. That is a number wholly unimaginable, which is why Samuelson looks at so many different analyses to figure out if that is possible. Some analyses say 12 million jobs will be created no matter who is in office, others say that is a stretch. I'm pretty sure the Romney campaign decided upon the number based on the aforementioned analysis or because it's large and sounds nice and looks pretty on paper.

I'm getting a bit dopey and fatigued from reading opinion pieces from pundits loosely connecting things like, oh say college football, to a political ideology, like, I don't know, progressivism. But I'm not going to name names (George Will).

I'm also feeling a bit comatose from reading pieces by pundits who worked for four consecutive years, barely taking a moment to take a breath, to write off everything the President has ever said or tried to pass through Congress, attacking him wildly at every chance, about how the President has failed to bring everyone together in perfect harmony.

Hmmm, I can't imagine why. This one is really quite the brain teaser. Again, I'm not going to name names (Michael Gerson).

Or how about people who analyze why the Democratic party isn't as fired up as it was in 2008 when really, that's kinda obvious to most people. Four years of Fox News and talk radio and columnists bashing the President right and left. Or maybe it was just the fact that 2008 was a dream scenario for Democrats who generated energy that will be difficult for any presidential candidate to muster perhaps ever again. But thank you for the over-analysis Kimberly Strassel of the Wall Street Journal. What would we have done without you?

But if you think I'm only upset with conservative pundits, you're wrong. I consider myself a bias individual. I'm liberal.

Whoops, I let that one slip.

When it comes to these things, however, I am upset with liberal pundits as well. They are putting me to sleep. However, when it comes to TV and radio the liberal guys tend not to rail as hard their conservative counterparts (at least if you compare Fox News to MSNBC or Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck to, uh, anyone).

But make no mistake. I will be in a politically induced coma pretty soon if I keep reading or hearing ridiculous claims no matter what side of the spectrum they come from. I have no problem with columnists or pundits, but make sure you guys make it clear that you are bias. Be sure to say, "I consider myself liberal" or "I consider myself conservative" before you type or mutter one word.

Last, I want to be able to watch the news when I watch the news. People should be able to make an informed decision based on unbiased facts and information. If you consider yourself a news organization, make sure you report the news, not opinions.

I've got to go, I'm getting pretty sleepy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

About

All posts are written by Will Wrigley -- a politics nerd, music-lover and a barely comprehensible writer.